Sunday, April 10, 2005

QBLOG #13-Marne Express


Q-BLOG #13

Ahhh, the lucky 13! It is beginning to feel like Baghdad is home in a way. Part of that is getting settled into a routine and getting used to the sounds of war all around. It is amazing how we as humans adjust to our environment. I am really hoping that it does not take me long to adjust to the heat. High today will be 86 F. I’m told we will get in to the 120’ and 130’s by July. If only I enjoyed the heat!

I returned last weekend from Taji safely. On the way back, I took what they call the Marne Express. There were 6 stops between Taji and Liberty. This was a great opportunity to see, even if from the seat of a Black Hawk, more of what Iraq looked like. I was seated right next to the gunner on the left side of the helicopter. I asked him if it was ok to take pictures while we were in the air. He gave the thumbs up. Since you cannot hear above the noise of the rotors, you learn to sign or write everything on a note pad, like the name of the place you want to get off at.

It was an exciting ride and I was able to see some of the country outside of Baghdad and to see the river Tigris. Our second to last stop was the Green Zone in Baghdad. As we flew into the Green Zone I finally understood why it is called the Green Zone, there were parks and trees and everything you would expect in a large metropolitan city. There were tall buildings and sprawling roads and walkways. Since this is the desert, and you can see what many of the neighborhoods here look like, in the Green Zone, it was green and beautiful. My understanding is that it is very lush, especially for the desert, but with very little humidity. I also believe, even though many still refer to it as the Green Zone, it is now officially, the International Zone.

We were only on the ground for a few minutes and then off again. Last stop Camp Liberty. Do you know the feeling you have, when you’ve been on a long trip and when you finally get into your city, you relax and are glad to be home. That is how it felt coming into Liberty. It isn’t my “Home” but it is my home. My little room in the desert and I was glad to be back.

I’m going to stop now. I just finished writing 3 other paragraphs and the power went out. They were not saved. I’m a bit tired and the temperature is rising. The A/C in our office went out two days ago, so it is not pleasant. Sorry for the shortness of this one, but I just can’t bear to write the three paragraphs over at this point!

Cheers from Baghdad!

Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home